Who would have thought that we would be forced to close schools, work in a limited capacity, and have to stay home all because of a virus. No matter where you turn, it’s on the news, in social media, and in everyday conversations. CORONAVIRUS or COVID-19.
This virus has created a worldwide pandemic scare and has caused all of us, to be at it’s mercy. Without a cure in sight, our uncertainty is turning into anxiety. We do not know what to do, what’s going to happen next, or when it will get better, but one thing we have to do, is have faith.
During times of uncertainty, it will expose a lot of things for you personally like your finances, health, relationships, stress levels, etc. You have to focus on what you can control and know that no one can avoid uncertainties.
We are creatures of habit and want everything to go our way, but when it doesn’t here are a few tips to help you:
- Understand you cannot control everything. Whatever is going to happen, all we can do is put preventative measures in place to be proactive and try to be one step ahead of the game.
- Get social. Connect with family or friends. Let them know that you are not ok. How can they help you if you do not speak up.
- Stay active. During this time, do not sit still with an idled mind. Find some type of physical activity to keep your mind off the task at hand and boost your energy.
- Put a plan together. Take a look at your situation and see what needs to be address. Do you need to tighten up your finances? Do you need to take time off? Do you have a support system? Get a pen and paper and start mapping your life back together.
- Be brave. You have the strength to get through anything that is thrown your way. If you cannot be brave the whole day, start off with just 30 seconds at a time. Then increase to 1 hour and then 2 hours, until you can reach a full day of bravery.
- Seek counsel. Do I need to say more!? If it is too much for you to handle, seek counsel from a pastor, trusted family/friend, therapist, coach, etc. It is ok not to know what to do. Find someone who does, and hold on.
Nothing can prepare us for uncertainty All you can do is remain calm and stay focused on what you can do. Believe that everything is already worked out and that your faith and willingness not to give up, will carry you through.
Podcast: A Second Chance at Life