If you follow me on social media, you know I have been talking about self-esteem and confidence for the entire month of May. Self-esteem has been a struggle for me because I have had a few things that caused me to question my self-worth.
I decided to seek a therapist and found out that I had low-self esteem, and it was treatable with ongoing therapy and self-development work.
The foundation of self-esteem starts when we are young and usually influenced by our upbringing. If you were affirmed, loved, and validated, your esteem was generally intact. If you were neglected, had unsupportive parents, abused, or experienced trauma, low self-esteem can be a factor. As we get older, our esteem gets affected by our experiences, peers, negative thinking, and bad relationships.
Did you know that Self-esteem and Self-confidence are not the same things? One is a feeling; the other is a skill.
The way you feel about yourself determines how you live.
- Confidence in one’s own worth or abilities.
Benefits of self-esteem; doesn’t need approval from others, being authentically you, takes on new challenges, and highly motivated.
- A feeling of trust in one’s abilities, qualities, and judgment.
Benefits of self-confidence; healthy relationships, willingness to try new things, ability to bounce back, and performs better.
If you are like me and struggle with your self-esteem from time to time, here are 8 ways to boost your self-esteem.
How to Boost Your Self-Esteem
- Invest in yourself and learning something new to increase your value.
- Keep a win folder and document your wins, big or small.
- Visualize a confident version of yourself.
- Replace negative self-talk with positive thoughts/affirmations.
- Find a support system to keep you uplifted when your esteem is feeling low.
- Step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.
- Make time for yourself with self-care
- Set goals that are meaningful and push you to the next level.
Below is a cheat sheet to keep posted when you need it!
7 ways to build your self-confidence.pdf <————–DOWNLOAD FREEBIE
It’s no secret that you need to believe in yourself if you want to have a successful life. Your self-esteem requires constant maintenance for it to be at a healthy level.
Don’t get give up or get discouraged when you have a setback; dust yourself off and try again!